Advantages of Hydraulic Turbines :
- Hydraulic turbines are operated by hydraulic energy, obtained from flowing water. Flowing water is neither consumed nor converted into other. So, water is a renewable source of energy.
- No products produced from hydraulic turbine operations are harmful to the environment. It is an eco-friendly energy source. Like thermal, diesel, nuclear power plants, etc. That produces ash and gases which affects to the environment.
- Water is a gift of nature, It is freely available on the Earth. The hydraulic turbine’s operational cost is cheaper.
- Easy maintenance.
- It has high efficiency.
- The dam, constructed for hydraulic power plants is also can be used for various purposes like tourism, boating, fishing, agriculture water storage, etc.
- The dam made for hydraulic turbines also helps to flood control.
Disadvantages of Hydraulic Turbines :
With the advantages of hydraulic turbines, having also some drawbacks. Some of are:
- Because the hydraulic turbine requires a dam and structure for runner and vanes. So, the initial cost is high.
- It can construct only limited sites, where the proper quantity of water and the required height of the head is available.
- Water quality also matters for the turbines, salty water can increase the maintenance cost.
- Sometimes, a large dam catchment area also can destroy natural environments at the site.
- Yes, water is a gift of nature, but sometimes, mother nature takes return by taking the lives of humans and animals by huge floodings.
In this article, we have studied about Hydraulic turbine history, working principle, hydraulic power plant layout, classification of hydraulic turbines, and their advantages and disadvantages. We will discuss various types of turbines individually in the next article.
If you have any queries regarding this article, please comment in the comment box. This article is helpful for you? Please like and share it. Your review will help us to improve content quality. If you have any queries regarding this article, please comment in the comment box. This article is helpful for you? Please like and share it.